Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Foya








A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to go to Foya with my friend Kevin. It's way up in Lofa county, almost as far away from Monrovia as you can go. At 6 am or so we piled into a Land Cruiser and headed out of town. The roads are paved until you get to Gbanga and then its dirt roads for the next six hours or so.

We passed through some beautiful country, especially the the bridge into Lofa County. The river has moving fast from all the rain.

Kevin and I took some Yamaha AG 100's out for a spin and it was a blast. I have never really ridden dirt bikes or anything that small before so it was a little hard to get used to. The terrain was not easy either. Lots of mud, ruts, rocks, and a couple log bridges. Needles to say i took a few spills. The worst one my back tire dropped into a rut that was a couple feet deep and i jammed my wrist and banged up my knees. I got back on though and am I glad I did. we rode all the way to the border of Guinea and the landscape almost changes right at the border. From the jungles of Liberia opened up grasslands with huge domes of rock jutting out.

Kevin also showed me a pine forest that the Liberians had planted to get telephone and electric poles. The war started and the plantation was neglected. So in this tropical jungle is a pine forest with all the smells of one at home. It was bizarre.

I am also including a picture of a lady weaving country cloth and some coffee beans that should be pretty good in the spring. I am excited.

No comments: